Special Education for Autistic Children
In the past few years, the prevalence of autism rates have increased alert in the world, including Viet Nam. Regarding to WHO, in the United States, there are about 1 in 68 children have autism spectrum disorder (ASD), topping the rank. In Viet Nam, the statistics are incomplete but the approximate estimate is 200,000 – 500,000 children with autism. It is have unexpectedly swelled. Those reminds us to have considerate methods, take care of babies better and better, hence avoiding risks of autism. In addition, we put more effort into helping autistic children in order to improve their conditions and get along with normal lives by special education methods for autism. To have those good methods, we need to have an accurate look on this syndrome:
What is autistic syndrome?
Do not mix up sickness and syndrome. Autism is a developmental disorder, called Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), or a complex neurobehavioral with impairments in social interaction and communication skills, which are diagnosed in two first years in childhood. Children with autism are listed as those who having a disease of mental or nerves.
Signs and Symptoms in Children with Autism
- Impaired communication skills
- Restricted and Repetitive behaviors and activities
- Narrow range of interests and activities
- Difficulty making eye contact, body languages
- Difficulty with expressing emotions and intentions in others, nonverbal communication and cognition.
What causes autism?
- Biochemical/metabolic factors: abnormal genes, Rubella (German measles) in the pregnant mother, being born to older parents, viral infections, genetic mutations and disorders, etc.
- Environmental factors: lack of concern, watching Television too much, mental shocks, etc.
- Regarding to the statistics, researches have been finding out causes related to 15 -20 % of autistic children. Experts are still uncertain about the causes of other 80 -85 % of ones.
Special Education for Children with Autism
Parents are the ones who are close most to children, as well as observe and figure out early the special symptoms of them. We need to take our children to hospitals, clinics for making a correct diagnosis, hence the suitable intervention and education methods.
Children with autism still need the chances of being able to go to school and participate in typical activities. Therefore, when building an individualized education syllabus for those ones, we need to ensure children can get excellent results with studying and improving their conditions.
Main factors which needing to take a look at in special education for autism:
- Helping children develop skills: languages, behaviors, communication
- Improving mental skills: therapy methods (Acupuncture, massage, medical equipment, etc.)
- Improving conditions and affecting nerves by biological techniques
Here are some intervening education methods: ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis), PECS (the Picture Exchange Communication System), TEACCH ( the Treatment and Education of Autistic and Communication Handicapped Children), SI ( Sensory Integration), OT (Occupation Therapy), Social Story, Languages and Speech in Therapy Method, Formation Method, Sequence Method, etc.
Special Education for Autistic Children is a hard job which requesting the patience from both parents and schools. We need to follow and pace step by step, modifying special behaviors and reinstating skills or functions for autistic children.
Observation and early identification with autistic children as well as suitable education syllabus help to ‘push’ those ones out of their lonely world, assisting them in socializing with normal daily life, studying and dedicating their skills.
It is essential for special education tasks and need to be support and cared by communities with an accurate look on this syndrome in order to help autistic children get along in lives easily.
For more information, please contact us
Steps Special School
Address: Street 12 - No 10, Thao Dien, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City
Hotline: 039 546 3532 - (028) 22 534 728